…Akeredolu faulted FG’s claim as being hasty.
The claim by the Federal Government on Thursday that the deadly terror group, the Islamic State, West African Province (ISWAP), was responsible for last Sunday’s terror attack on St Francis Catholic Church, Owo, was offhandedly dismissed on Friday by the Ondo State Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu.
Akeredolu faulted the pronouncement as being hasty.
Recall that even without any arrests or conclusive forensic investigation and evidence, the Federal Government on Thursday blamed ISWAP for the attack that led to the death of about 38 persons.
Briefing State House correspondents at the end of Security Council meeting chaired by President Muhammadu Buhari, the Minister of Interior, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola, flanked by the Inspector General of Police, Alkali Baba Usman, said the Owo Catholic Church attack was perpetrated by international criminals.
Aregbesola, who said that no arrest has been made, further said that the security agencies had been directed to go after the perpetrators of the act and bring them to justice, adding that the security was now zeroing in on them.
He noted that the attack has neither ethnic nor religious connotation as he affirmed that ISWAP’s activities have nothing to do with real religion.
According to Aregbesola, the motive of ISWAP was to pitch Nigerians against each another and make it appear as ethno-religious war.