Unknown gunmen on Thursday stormed Toru Orua, the country home of Chief Seriake Dickson, the immediate past Bayelsa Governor and PDP Senatorial candidate for Bayelsa West in the December 5 by-election, and killed one of the police officers securing the residence.
Confirming the incident, Chairman of Sagbama Local Government Area Hon. Embeleakpo Alale disclosed that the unknown gunmen reportedly struck at about 2:00 am, and engaged in a heavy exchange of gunfire resulting in the death of a Police Inspector who tried to repel the assailants.
The body of the slain Police officer has been placed at a mortuary in Sagbama town.
Meanwhile, the Bayelsa State Command Police Public Relations Officer Asinim Butswat revealed that a full-scale investigation has been launched to uncover and bring the perpetrators of the dastardly act to book.
It is gathered that the gunmen were said to have access to the Dickson’s village residence from a nearby river at midnight and began engaging the security personnel in a shoot-out before they were overpowered by the security men on guard.
According to Mr. Fidelis Sorowe, The former governor and his family were not in the building at the time of the attack.
He said in a short statement: “Men of the Nigerian Police fend off a midnight attack and prevented gunmen at the Toru Orua country home of the former Governor of Bayelsa State, Chief Henry Seriake Dickson on Wednesday night.
“A gallant police team successfully prevented the gunmen who attempted to invade the compound through the Forcados River from gaining access.
“Unfortunately, a Police officer who led the operation was killed in the hit and died in the attack.
“Chief Dickson and his family were not in the compound during the attack having been away in Abuja and Yenagoa for about three weeks.
“The former Governor condoled with the immediate family of the late police officer, the Inspector General of Police, the Bayelsa State Commissioner of police, and the entire police team on the death of the gallant policeman.
“He said this period was indeed a trying one to the country, the police and the security agencies called on the society to give them the requisite support to effectively carry out the sensitive duty of securing the society.
“The former Governor said that the Commissioner of Police and heads of other security agencies have commenced immediate investigation to unravel those who perpetrated the heinous acts.
“He assured that no stone would be left unturned in the bid to fish out those behind the cruel act.
He called on his supporters across the Ijaw nation to give relevant information to the police to aid their investigation into the crime.” He said.