By Friday Idachaba, Lokoja
COMMISSIONER of Police, Kogi State Command, Bethrand Unuoha, has ordered a thorough and diligent investigation into Monday afternoon attack on the Secretary to to Kogi State Governorship Election Petitions Tribunal, Mr David Umar Mike Tribunal by hoodlums.
Mr Williams Ovye Aya, the Command’s Public Relations Officer (PPRO) disclosed this in a statement issued on Wednesday in Lokoja.
Aya said the attack on the Tribunal Secretary and two of his staff was reported by the trio at the State Criminal Investigation Department of the Nigeria Police on Monday.
He said, “On the 4th of this month, at about 1820hrs, one Mr David Umar Mike, male, Secretary to Kogi State Governorship Election Petition Tribunal along with Labode Apreala, female Confidential Secretary and Hassimu Adamu, Assistant Secretary, came to State Criminal Investigation Department, Kogi State Police Headquarters and reported.
“That on the said date three of them left their Hotel rooms in Lokoja about 13:00hrs heading to their Office at the High Court Complex driving in his (David’s) Peugeot 406 Car.
“According to him, just before the CBN at about 1320hrs, one SUV vehicle which had earlier overtaken them blocked his car with two other SUVs following behind and all of them surrounded and blocked him as he attempted to reverse.
“That he saw about seven hooded men all heavily armed and dressed in black attire who shot severally into the air and dragged him and his two other colleagues out of their car, ransacked the car and made away with all the the documents.
“The documents include Petitions filed by four (4) Parties namely Action Alliance (AA), Action People’s Party (APP), Peoples Redemption Party (PRP) and Social Democratic Party (SDP), two (2) Record Books/a Bag containing his personal items. He claimed to have also reported to the DSS Office.
“Hence the Commissioner ordered a thorough and diligent investigation into the incident.
“The attention of the Kogi State Police Command has been drawn to series of distorted information on the incident hence, the need to set the records straight.
“The general public is advised to avoid statements that may prejudice ongoing investigation into the matter”, he said.
According to him, the Command has therefore appealed to anyone with useful information on the alleged incident to avail the Police.
He said that the public would be updated as the investigation progresses.